Monday 26 November 2012

new teeth suck.

I think all parents dread new teeth. I certainly do. We had a tough night last night, usually bedtime is so easy. Maybe we are just spoiled but usually as long as we do all the steps of the bedtime routine correctly (which I will blog about later), Natallie is so happy to be put in her crib and going to sleep for the night. Last night, after I gave Natallie her beloved giraffe and bear stuffed animals, she was still clinging onto me. I left her 10 minutes but then couldn't stand the crying so I went back in to calm her down. As long as I was holding her she was fine but as soon as I inched towards the crib, she was in tears. I tried getting Simon to try and it was the same thing. She was just a clingly koala. We gave her some Tylonel and put her in her crib. We had to listen to another 30 minutes of this until she finally fell asleep.  If you really want to hear what it sounded like, be my guest and click this video (It 20 seconds of her wailing videotaped thru the baby monitor).

 
Usually I love the baby monitor, it shows me Natallie holding her giraffe and bear, all snuggled in and peacfully sleeping but yesterday, I was just staring at the baby monitor feeling sorry for Natallie. Nothing breaks a mother's heart more than listening to her child wail and knowing they just need to sleep. She was holding the railing of the crib shaking the bars and looking towards the door waiting for me to come in. I wanted to run in and make it all better. Darn teeth, why must they cause my baby so much pain? After she got tired of standing and shaking the bars, she was on her knees holding the crib bars. I was telepathetically sending her message to just go to sleep and finally, finally, the light on the monitor went from bright red to green. Green is good. Green means Natallie is finally sleeping.

So....I wrote that blog earlier today and just in case you were wondering, tonight wasn't any better, she was super happy for the whole bedtime routine until I actually put her in her crib, then it was this.......ohhh that sad sad sad face!

It was totally distracting to hear her wailing on the baby monitor all through bible study. I kept glaring at the red light above the monitor willing it to just turn green. Be green! Be green! Go to sleep baby! Be green! Tonight it was about 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes of wailing before she fell asleep. Is it teeth or can a perfectly synchronized bedtime routine fall apart for no apparent reason???

2 comments:

  1. Sooo frustrating when babies refuse to/ can't sleep, when we know that that's exactly what they need! Sorry to hear that your nights have been rough. lately. But to answer your question, I think that those routines CAN fall apart for no apparent reason! It always seems to happen to me that when I think I've got my girls figured out, they throw me for a loop! And I'm sure you've heard many parents say the same thing! Sienna definitely did that to us-- we thought we were good to go, bedtime-wise (and we WERE for more than a year!), and then she started waking up in the middle of the night (as a THREE year old!), and climbing into our bed! Definitely couldn't blame it on teething!

    ps- Natallie's sad face is SO cute! Not what you want to see, but cute, nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear! The molars were the bad ones for Kaitlyn. Tylenol helped, we would give it to her before the bedtime routine hoping it would kick in by bedtime. Maybe ask your doctor about baby advil? Its stronger, but typically when kids are closer to 2-years-old or of a certain weight (which Kaitlyn was way before 2 years old! HA!)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete