Saturday 30 August 2014

the Grind's littlest hiker


Some people who consider it cruel and unusual punishment but we (ok, maybe just I) thought it would be awesome to hike up the Grouse Grind with both kids. And although a fair percentage of my romanticized visions of quality family outings turns out to whine-fest epic disasters, Simon and I were both pleasantly surprised how well this went. For those unfamiliar with the Grind, it is "a 2.9 km trail that is very challenging. Keep in mind there is a wide range of mountaintop trails that might be better suit the average hiker". The website also says that "hikers range in age from 7 to 90" and Natallie just turned 3 so that's close enough to 7 right?

 We were blown away but how well Natallie did and also how much she enjoyed it.

 Some of those rocks and steps are as tall as she was. She figured out quickly that she could climb up some parts faster on all fours. She started pretending she was a bear, roaring her way up the mountain.

ROAR!!!!

Most people either looked impressed or sympathetic towards Simon with the huge hiking pack and the 22 lb sleeping baby in the backpack. Everyone that passed by said encouraging words to Natallie and whenever someone said "good job" she would get so excited and say, "they cheer for me!!!!"

 Just some encouraging words, two packs of Scoobydoo fruit snacks and chanting "Princess Power!!" and Natallie made it 85% of the up the Grind all by herself! We were both so impressed. She hiked for 2 hours and 10 minutes to the 34/40 trail marker.  I am so glad she did because I had to carry Noah for the last 10 minutes of the hike and I don't know if we would of made it to the top if I had to carry him any further!
I doubt many 3 year old girls with light-up My Little Pony shoes frequent the Grind. I sure hope that our success with the hike today means soon she'll be able to hike up Seymour back country with her snowboard strapped to her backpack just like her mom her dad. You gotta start 'em young right?

2 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me?????????????? You guys are amazing, or crazy,m or both. So glad Natallie did so well and didn't have to be carried too far, and you didn't have to carry Noah too far. Way to go you guys!

    ReplyDelete