Sunday 10 April 2016

cheermeisters.

Simon and two of his friends signed up for Valley Granfondo in June where they will be biking an epic 160 km and Simon hasn't had much time to train lately. This is mostly my fault since I often jet off for work (and leave him with Dad duty) when he gets home from work which doesn't leave him much time to get on his bike. So I was feeling rather guilty that I wasn't giving him the time he needed to train for his 160 km race so that when I heard his friends were doing a 100 km today (the Pacific Populaire), I signed him up and told him he had 48 hours to get ready to bike 100 km. I thought Simon would panic but he looked at the route decided it wasn't overly challenging. But I guess anything after biking the Granfondo race to Whister last September, any route seems like a picnic in the park.

But speaking of picnics in the park, we gathered our cheermeisters and went to cheer all the dads. We had a picnic lunch and the kids sported their "Go Dad Go!" shirts and made full use of their loud vocal cheering abilities and shook their cowbells with all their might. Had to admit, it was pretty adorable. It was great energy and I am sure all the riders enjoyed being serenated by this pint-sized crew.



Go Dad Go! Go Dad Go! You can also watch the 7 second video of their loud vocal abilities...








 We timed it pretty well and the kids didn't have to wait long before the dads came in. Simon and Lance finished together and completed the 100 km in 4 hours and 10 minutes! Brian unfortunately got a flat tire with less than 12 km to the finish but he fixed up his tire and the kids were happy to cheer for him at the finish.
Can you spot Simon and Lance?
Brian happy to be at the finish

 Simon wanted to take the classic bite-your-medal picture but sadly they only got pins so here is the best we could do
 The finish was right by a park so that worked out well for the kids to play after their hard work cheering.



Loved that these kids made lots of people smile today!



1 comment:

  1. So easy to recognize Simon. I think I have 7 or 8 other photos of him in the same pose, finishing the Century Ride in Armstrong. It looks like you had fantastic weather. Better than a certain Ride for Refuge I remember. It looks like a good time was had by all. Love the photos and the blog.

    ReplyDelete