Thursday 31 August 2017

5 mom hacks for a fabulous birthday party.


1. Combine your kids birthday parties. I love planning birthday parties but what I soon realized was that as soon as I was done Big Sis' birthday, I had zero motivation to plan to do anything for Little Brother. So instead of having an elaborate party in July and then only give Little Bro a high five in September; for the last two years I decided we would pick the median of their birthdays and have one epic party in August. 

2. Pick a fair weather month and do it outside. It works out fantastic that August is the median birthday month and we have been able to have the party at a park the past 2 years. This year we picked the park closest to our house that had a wading pool.

3.Pick the park with free activities.  I had picked this park because it is 3 minutes from my house but it also has a pool, a playground and lots of space to run. But the icing on the cake (no pun intended) it just so happened that the park also had summer activities going on with a park leader doing crafts and face painting. And then someone from the rec centre came with 'Imagination Blocks" -these huge foamy stack able blocks that the kids loved building with. What a win!

4. Cupcake hack. So I made from scratch 24 cupcakes but after counting the number of kids and parents I realized I probably needed more but didn't have enough time to bake a bunch from scratch since the party was 24 hours after coming back from the no-dads-allowed-camping trip. I was just going to buy some cupcakes but the Type A control freak side of me was not OK with that because then the icing wouldn't match the ones I already made and iced (I know, I know, first world problems). Anyways, I figured out you can put one of those store bought 2-bite brownies in a mini cupcake holder and ice it in the same colors and decorations as my other cupcakes so it looks like a petite version of the regular cupcakes. Ta-da! Cupcakes for all!

5. Order the loot-bag present waaaay in advance. I told the kids 6 months before their party they had to decide on a theme. They just saw Finding Dory so they agreed on Nemo & Dory and then I went online and found stuffed Dory, Nemo and that turtle from Finding Nemo. Anyways, they were shipping from China and it took seriously like 4 months for them to arrive and they all came separately. It was so nerve-racking to see if they would arrive on time. We could only invite friends to the party as each parcel trickled in. Note to self: next time order through Amazon Prime... But once they arrived it was so easy to put a ribbon on each package and a label on it. And I know all kids have an infinite amount of stuffed animals so I do apologize for adding to the stash but honestly, the kids really did love them and I think it's much better than a $5 bag of dollar store junk.

OK so that's the 5 short-cuts but every year I have to pick something in the party planning process that is the opposite of a hack...I have to pick a birthday project that makes me question my sanity....last year it was making sugar cookies in the shape of dog bones and icing them in all the Paw Patrol colors...I still have the meringue powder that that stupid YouTube video promised would make the icing so 'simple'....that sucked....I am never making sugar cookies again.

So this year, the kids wanted Dory and Nemo pinatas, I actually saw a Nemo pinata at Walmart for $25 but I figured I could make 2 pinatas for cheaper than that. I watched a YouTube video promising me how easy the process was and Big Sis was interested in helping for about 3 minutes until she realized how tedious the process was. Then the next few days I spent doing paper mache at 10:30 pm, waiting for a layer to dry and then doing it again and then painting it, waiting for it to dry and then painting it again. I am not quite sure if my 10+ hours of work was worth the less than 10 minutes it entertained the kids for.....especially for Little Brother who thought that he would hit the pinata and then it would split open and all the candy would come flowing out like a river of sugar euphoria. He enthusiastically took the first hit and when nothing happened, he instantly burst into tears. By the time he recovered from the devastation of this, both pinatas had been busted open and he missed out on getting any candy. Cue the second round of tears and utmost devastation. Note to self: explain to child realistic expectations of how a pinata works for next time.


After recovering from the trauma caused by the pinata incident, all was well and I think everyone had fun and now I have 365 days until I do it again...Happy birthday to my love bugs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment